January 11, 2011
Building Wireless Sensor Networks: A Practical Guide to the ZigBee Mesh Networking Protocol--New from O'Reilly Media
Sebastopol, CA—Get ready to create distributed sensor systems and intelligent interactive devices using the ZigBee wireless networking protocol and XBee radios. By the time you're halfway through this fast-paced, hands-on guide—Building Wireless Sensor Networks (O'Reilly Media, $34.99 USD)—you'll have built a series of useful projects, including a complete ZigBee wireless network that delivers remotely sensed data.
"Until now there's been no full guide to creating sensor networks that's appropriate for non-engineers," says author Rob Faludi (@faludi). "Building Wireless Sensor Networks is appropriate for researchers, hackers, crafters, artists, inventors, and scientists. They will want this hands-on, fast lane guide to help develop robust wireless sensor networks, and intelligent interactive devices.
"The information and structure of the book is really perfect for anyone creating hands-on networks," Faludi continues, "especially those who don't have a computer science background or electrical engineering degree. The focus here is on getting things done, with plenty of references to further information for those that need it or are just plain curious."
Radio networking is creating revolutions in volcano monitoring, performance art, clean energy, and consumer electronics. As you follow the examples in each chapter, you'll learn how to tackle inspiring projects of your own. This practical guide is ideal for inventors, hackers, crafters, students, hobbyists, and scientists.
- Investigate an assortment of practical and intriguing project ideas
- Prep your ZigBee toolbox with an extensive shopping list of parts and programs
- Create a simple, working ZigBee network with XBee radios in less than two hours—for under $100
- Use the Arduino open source electronics prototyping platform to build a series of increasingly complex projects
- Get familiar with XBee's API mode for creating sensor networks
- Build fully scalable sensing and actuation systems with inexpensive components
- Learn about power management, source routing, and other XBee technical nuances
- Make gateways that connect with neighboring networks, including the Internet
For a review copy or more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596807740
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Press Release Archive »
Media Relations - North America
Media Relations - Germany
Media Relations - Japan
Media Relations - United Kingdom
Media Relations - Conferences