Press Release: June 5, 2007
Learning WCF-New from O'Reilly: Master WCF and SOA Fundamentals
This easy-to-use introduction is for intermediate to advanced developers who want a more conceptual understanding of Microsoft's new Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) for building service-oriented applications. Learning WCF (O'Reilly, $44.99) gives you a complete overview of WCF's core concepts and features so that you understand how and when to apply them.
With more than 100 code samples, more than 20 hands-on labs, and detailed answers to the most common questions asked by developers, author and leading expert Michele Leroux Bustamante illuminates the elegance and usefulness of this new platform.
"The technology is quite new, but there is really no better way to build service-oriented and distributed systems," says Bustamante. "Any architect and developer looking at SOA, or working on a distributed application, simply must invest in WCF. But there are so many buttons and knobs in WCF that you really need some guidance to get started and to help you make correct configuration and design choices. My book answers the most common questions."
Even if you've already played with WCF, this book's detailed coverage of everything from fundamental concepts to advanced scenarios is certain to deepen your knowledge of important topics, including:
- Contracts: Learn to design service contracts, create data contracts for complex type serialization, work with other serializable types, and perform custom serialization to handle contract-first and contract versioning scenarios.
- Bindings: Discover practical uses for each of the core bindings for intranet and Internet applications, and learn how to customize those binding configurations for specific scenarios such as dealing with large messages and streaming.
- Hosting: Learn the appropriate uses and the benefits of several hosting environments, including Windows applications, Windows services, IIS, and the Windows Activation Service.
- Instancing and Concurrency: Configure services to run as singletons, to provide support for application sessions, or to run as scalable sessionless services, and learn how to manage throughput and throttle requests.
- Reliability: Apply features such as reliable sessions, distributed transactions, and queued messaging.
- Security: Learn how WCF supports fundamental security requirements for mutual authentication and message protection, learn how to manage runtime identities, explore various authorization modes, and more.
- Exceptions and Faults: Learn error handling concepts including debugging techniques, exception management, and fault contracts.
If you want to get a jump on this new technology, Learning WCF is exactly the book you need.
About the Author:
Michele Leroux Bustamante is Chief Architect of IDesign Inc., Microsoft Regional Director for San Diego, Microsoft MVP for Connected Systems, and a BEA Technical Director. At IDesign Michele provides training, mentoring and high-end architecture consulting services focusing on Web services, scalable and secure architecture design for .NET, interoperability and globalization architecture. She is a member of the International .NET Speakers Association (INETA), a frequent conference presenter, conference chair for SD West, and is frequently published in several major technology journals. Michele is also on the board of directors for IASA (International Association of Software Architects), and a Program Advisor to UCSD Extension.
By Michele Leroux Bustamante
ISBN: 0-596-10162-7, Pages, 582, $44.99 US, $58.99 CA
1005 Gravenstein Highway North
Sebastopol, CA 95472
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O’Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
|4/21/17||Strata Data Conference covers entire data ecosystem|
|4/5/17||O'Reilly's OSCON explores all things open source|
|2/14/17||Strata + Hadoop World makes data work|
|2/6/17||O'Reilly Design Conference Shapes Future|
|1/26/17||First JupyterCon announced|