Press Release: July 2, 2007
Windows Vista Administration: The Definitive Guide--New from O'Reilly: The One-Stop Resource for Maintaining Vista
Sebastopol, CA--Whether you're responsible for hundreds of Windows clients or just a roomful of computers, Windows Vista Administration: The Definitive Guide (O'Reilly, $49.99 US) can help you install, configure, and maintain Vista.
In his timely new publication, Microsoft expert Brian Culp aims to help users of all stripes understand the most significant features of this new OS. "My book is especially targeted for administrators," says Culp. "It was updated with the latest news and information about Windows Vista until the moment it went to the printer. I've also set up a kind of 'living appendix' online. It's a website I've set up where readers of Windows Vista: The Definitive Guide can get answers to questions not answered in the book. Readers can continue their exploration at www.brianculp.com.
The topics covered include:
- A tour of what's new, including Aero, Sidebar, BitLocker Drive Encryption, and Vista Search
- An overview of all five versions of Windows Vista
- Getting started with workgroup networks, user profiles, and VPN connections
- Personalizing Vista with virtual folders, Flip 3D, and the new Control Panel
- Working with software and hardware, such as installing printers and storage devices
- Configuring Internet Explorer 7: phishing filters, cookies and privacy, the pop-up blocker, and RSS feeds
- Deploying Windows Vista: installation, imaging software, modules, and migrating data
- Optimizing performance: memory, processor, disks, applications, network, and command-line administration
- Security: auditing, disk quotas, account policies, user rights, group rights, and IP security
- Troubleshooting tips: the Startup repair tool, frozen applications, remote assistance, and backup and restore
And that list just scratches the surface of this new book's contents. For up-to-the-minute answers about which new features significantly improve the operating system experience and what makes Windows Vista worth the investment, read this book.
Brian Culp is a recognized Microsoft expert who has been teaching and writing about Windows for many years. He's the author/coauthor of seven books, including Windows XP Power Tools (Sybex), Outlook 2003 Bible (Wiley), four MCSE study guides (McGraw-Hill), and several tutorials for the Virtual Training Company. Culp gives presentations for Microsoft on Windows XP, Vista, Small Business Server, and Office 2007.
Windows Vista Administration: The Definitive Guide
ISBN: 0-596-52959-7, $49.99 USD
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O’Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
|4/21/17||Strata Data Conference covers entire data ecosystem|
|4/5/17||O'Reilly's OSCON explores all things open source|
|2/14/17||Strata + Hadoop World makes data work|
|2/6/17||O'Reilly Design Conference Shapes Future|
|1/26/17||First JupyterCon announced|