April 18, 2008
Ubuntu Live 2008 Takes Ubuntu Further: Registration Opens and Program Announced
Sebastopol, CA—Registration has opened for the Ubuntu Live 2008
conference, scheduled for July 21 and 22, 2008, at the Oregon Convention
Center in Portland, Oregon. Canonical Ltd. and O’Reilly Media copresent
this conference, which builds upon the success of the inaugural Ubuntu
Live last year and happens concurrently with the O’Reilly Open Source
Convention 2008 at the same venue.
Award-winning Ubuntu is a complete, Debian-based Linux operating system,
developed and supported by a large community committed to the principles
and spirit of open source and free software. Ubuntu Live is designed to be
the official and trusted event for this community. The conference welcomes
all the different segments within the Ubuntu ecosystem—experts, long-time
users, established companies, and newcomers—in a passionate, energizing
Conference chair Jane Silber has organized the two-day conference into
- Ubuntu in Action: Find Ubuntu in the community and in some unexpected
- Ubuntu Means Business: How Ubuntu works for, and in, business settings
- The Tech View: Cool technology inside and on top of Ubuntu
- Public Sector: Learn how Ubuntu is changing the world, or at least the
public sector and NGOs
- Management Systems: Tips and tools to deploy and manage Ubuntu systems
Chris Anderson of Wired Magazine and Mark Shuttleworth of
Ubuntu/Canonical, Ltd. have joined the list of featured speakers. Other
- "The Ubuntu Community" by Jono Bacon of Canonical, Ltd.
- "Teenbuntu: Reaching Out to Teens" by Andrew Harris and Samuel Baldwin of
Teens on Linux.org
- "When 'Release Early and Often' Hurts: The Challenge of Backports" by
Bradley Kuhn of Software Freedom Law Center/Software Freedom Conservancy
- "Checkout Ubuntu" by Martin Pool and Kiko Reis of Canonical, Ltd.
- "How Virtualization Is Lowering the Risk of Businesses Adopting Open
Source Solutions" by Walter Ferreira of Extrico.net, LLC
- "System-Wide Power-Saving on Ubuntu" by Matthew Garrett of Contractor
- "Exhibiting Software" by Hunter Cross of Ponticlaro, Inc.
- "LTS Tutorials: Using Ubuntu in the Enterprise" by Christer Edwards of
- "The Ubuntu PostgreSQL Package" by Robert Treat of OmniTI
- "Ubuntu on the Go: Subnotebook and MID Technologies" by Jon Malamut of
- "SELinux: Solving Your Security Problems" by Chad Sellers of Tresys
- "Ubuntu Experience in E-Learning" by Ernesto Ramiro of UGT
- "The Secret Sauce: Launchpad" by Kiko Reis, Joey Stanford, and Brad
Crittenden of Canonical, Ltd.
- "One Server To Rule Them All" by Marko Jung of Marko Jung Consulting
- "Ubuntu Desktop Implementation on Health and Social Assistance Ministry
of El Salvador Occidental Zone" by Julio Rivera of Don Bosco University
- "Ubuntu Deployment for Your Enterprise" by Fredrik Jonsson of ASCI Sweden
- "Groovix: Public Access Computing with Ubuntu" by Michael Pardee of Open
Sense Solutions, LLC
- "Know It's Broke Before Your Customers Do: Practical Use of Open Source"
by David Thomas of Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court
Evening events include Birds of a Feather sessions and a reception,
offering attendees many networking opportunities.
In praise of the initial Ubuntu Live conference, Robert Kaye wrote,
"Ubuntu has clearly taken the Linux world by storm and having a conference
dedicated to Ubuntu sounds like a great idea. O’Reilly enjoys a long
history of bringing together developers from all corners of the globe and
this new conference promises do that for Ubuntu."
Sponsoring companies include Intel and Sun Microsystems.
Last year’s Ubuntu Live brought together representatives from companies
and organizations like: Adobe Systems, Alfresco, Amazon.com, Cisco
Systems, Inc., Computerworld, Dell, Inc., Dept.of Veterans Affairs, EMC,
Fidelity Investments, Free Software Foundation, Go Daddy, Google,
Hewlett-Packard, Hitachi America Ltd., IBM Corporation, IEEE, Intel,
Kaiser Permanente, Linspire, Linux Foundation, Linux Today,
LinuxQuestions.org, Motorola, Mozilla Foundation, MySpace.com, MySQL AB,
National Center for High-Performance Computing, NComputing, Novell,
OpenSourcery, LLC., Oregon State University Open Source Lab,
Pearson/Prentice Hall, Phoronix, Planet Argon, Rails Machine, LLC,
StanfordUniversity, StockCharts.com, Inc., Sun Microsystems, The 451
Group, University of California, Davis, University of Washington, UPS,
Vanderbilt University, Verizon Business, Wired, Xerox Office Group,
Yahoo!, Zend Technologies, Inc., and Zimbra.
For complete conference information, visit:
Early registration ends June 2. To register now and take advantage of the
early-registration discount, visit:
To apply for media credentials, please register at:
If you'd like to stay up to date on information relating to Ubuntu Live,
sign up for the conference newsletter (login required):
If you have ideas about areas you'd like to see included at the
conference, send a note to:
To read articles and blogs about Ubuntu Live 2008, visit:
For information on exhibition and sponsorship opportunities at Ubuntu
Live, contact Sharon Cordesse at 707-827-7065 or:
If you would like to discuss forming a media or promotional partnership
with O'Reilly for an upcoming event, contact Avila Reese at 707-827-7116
About Canonical, Ltd.
Canonical, Ltd. is an organization that is successfully establishing a
commercial foundation for a free platform. Ubuntu, which means "humanity
to others" or "I am what I am because of who we all are," emphasizes the
interconnectedness of the work of many project contributors from around
the world and accessibility for all users regardless of language or
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Press Release Archive »
Media Relations - North America
Media Relations - Germany
Media Relations - Japan
Media Relations - United Kingdom
Media Relations - Conferences