Press Release: April 26, 2012
Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments: All Lab, No Lecture--New from O'Reilly Media
Sebastopol, CA—Experience the magic of biology in your own home lab. This hands-on introduction includes more than 30 educational (and fun) experiments that help you explore this fascinating field on your own. Perfect for middle- and high-school students and DIY enthusiasts, this full-color guide teaches you the basics of biology lab work and shows you how to set up a safe lab at home.
The Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments (O'Reilly Media, $34.99 USD) is also written with the needs of homeschoolers firmly in mind, as well as adults who are eager to explore the science of nature as a life-long hobby. To get the most from the experiments, we recommend using this guide in conjunction with a standard biology text, such as the freely downloadable CK-12 Biology.
- Master the use of the microscope, including sectioning and staining
- Build and observe microcosms, soda-bottle worlds of pond life
- Investigate the chemistry of life from simple acids, bases, and buffers to complex carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, enzymes, and DNA
- Extract, isolate, and observe DNA
- Explore photosynthesis, osmosis, nitrogen fixation, and other life processes
- Investigate the cell cycle (mitosis and cytokinesis)
- Observe populations and ecosystems, and perform air and water pollution tests
- Investigate genetics and inheritance
- Do hands-on microbiology, from simple culturing to micro-evolution of bacteria by forced selection
- Gain hands-on lab experience to prepare for the AP Biology exam
Through their company, The Home Scientist, LLC, the authors also offer inexpensive custom kits that provide specialized equipment and supplies you'll need to complete the experiments. Add a microscope and some common household items and you're good to go.
For a review copy or more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920017691.do
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room