This episode of the Hardware Podcast features my second discussion with Joe Biron, VP of IoT technology at ThingWorx, a PTC business that offers a platform for rapid deployment of Internet of Things applications.
- How IoT platforms provide the functionality that enables advanced capabilities for IoT products
- The common architecture of properties, services, and events
- How to future-proof an embedded application
- Platforms for industrial versus consumer devices
- The potential for products that can update their own behavior
- Embracing—or avoiding—smartphone creep, in which functions once performed by specialized hardware are taken over by a phone
This week’s Clickspirals:
- Randall Munroe’s “What if” article: When—if ever—will the bandwidth of the Internet surpass that of FedEx
- Laser projectors for Christmas tree lighting displays
Also, watch Joe Biron’s webcast “Building Internet of Things Apps with Superpowers”
This podcast episode is a collaboration between O’Reilly and ThingWorx, a PTC business. See our statement of editorial independence.