In this episode of the Hardware podcast, I talk with Steve Ghee, senior vice president for R&D in the office of the CTO at PTC. The conversation took place during the LiveWorx 2016 conference, where augmented reality was a major focus—especially for the role that it can play in the Internet of Things and in the enterprise.
- The difference between augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR): VR completely generates a new world, whereas AR adds an overlay to the real world.
- Today’s industrial and commercial AR use cases. For instance, an AR application can show an operator how to start up a generator, replacing a 10-page manual.
- The building blocks of a modern augmented-reality application, and the path for developers to get started with AR.
- What to expect from the next generation of AR headsets.
- Vuforia Studio, an authoring and publishing tool that makes it easy to create AR experiences.
This podcast episode is a collaboration between O’Reilly and ThingWorx. See our statement of editorial independence.