There’s always room for improvement.
It’s tough to be a great manager, but also fascinating, enriching, meaningful, and fun. Organizations need managers who bring individuals and teams together to do their best work in the service of company goals—make no mistake, management is a people-driven job.
Though the barriers to success are many—you could become a victim of circumstances, confuse the need to manage with the need to control, let management become maintenance, fail to tune up and realign—don’t be discouraged. With over 30 years of experience, author Lisa Haneberg has seen it all and is here to guide you with 10 Steps to Be a Successful Manager. From detailing the foundational importance of knowing your business to understanding pull versus push motivation, managing change, and leaving a legacy, Haneberg illustrates how to establish or realign your management habits, describing in each step an area of action you can develop for a healthy management practice. With pointers, examples, tables, tools, and worksheets, this updated second edition is also aligned with ATD survey-based research on social skills crucial to managerial success—so you are better able to build managerial capabilities.
Intended for managers of all experience levels, this book will help you to embrace your challenges and triumph over management barriers. Make your current management challenge the best job you will ever have.
Table of Contents
- Title page
- Copyright page
- Step 1 Know Your Business
- Step 2 Work Well With Others
- Step 3 Define and Model Excellence
- Step 4 Hire for Fit and Onboard for Success
- Step 5 Use Pull Versus Push Motivation
- Step 6 Reinforce and Reward the Nonnegotiables
- Step 7 Bring Out the Best in Others
- Step 8 Plan, Measure, and Adjust
- Step 9 Manage Change and Transition
- Step 10 Build a Career, Leave a Legacy
- References and Resources
- About the Author
- Title: 10 Steps to Be a Successful Manager, 2nd Ed
- Release date: June 2019
- Publisher(s): Association for Talent Development
- ISBN: 9781949036206