For most businesses, attracting new employees and getting your existing employees to succeed is a never-ending task. It’s often rooted in inefficient hiring practices, misunderstood motivational techniques, inadequate training, and high employee turnover. The results: Low productivity and poor performance, leading to lower revenue, unhappy customers, and endless management headaches. Jerry Wilson’s 151 Quick Ideas to Inspire Your Staff takes the mystery out of motivating employees to achieve personal and business success.
The basic concept: Inspire your employees to create and maintain delighted repeat customers!
This book demonstrates that business owners don’t have to constantly replace employees or use artificial incentives and harsh methods to get employees to help the business succeed. Wilson shows business owners and managers how to do it themselves without the pain and suffering. And you don’t have to invent any new approaches, concepts, or buzz words to do it! Just follow some of Jerry Wilson’s 151 proven ideas and discover amazing results...fast!
Jerry Wilson has spent more than 25 years researching what his clients–businesses large and small–need to do to be successful in today’s marketplace by hiring and motivating the right employees. These powerful ideas work! Each is presented in a bite-sized package that allows instant execution. No long chapters with endless justifications, pontifications, philosophy and personal stories. Just 151 great, practical ideas any business manager and owner can use to make an immediate difference in his or business success.
Jerry Wilson is a successful businessperson, entrepreneur, professional business and marketing consultant and accomplished public speaker. He is also the author of Word of Mouth Marketing. Initially published in 1991, it was the first book focused on what is now called buzz marketing and viral marketing. It has also been published in four languages–Spanish, Portuguese, German and Italian. lson has been published in Entrepreneur magazine, Success Magazine, Master Salesmanship and Personal Selling Power, among others. He lives in Indianapolis, Indiana
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Table of Contents
- How to Use This Book
- 1 - Work on, Not in, Your Business
- 2 - A Better Way to Think, Feel, and Act
- 3 - IASM
- 4 - We Care and You Matter
- 5 - Your Job Is All About THEM
- 6 - The “Why” Is What Everyone Overlooks
- 7 - Creating Your Magnet Story
- 8 - Your Job: To Sell Again and Again and Again
- 9 - Steal, Don’t Invent, Your Success
- 10 - No Man Can Serve Two Masters
- 11 - Teamwork
- 12 - Be Demanding: Setting Your Standards
- 13 - Turning Every Worker Into a CRM
- 14 - What We Expect of You
- 15 - Don’t Compete With Yourself
- 16 - Too Soon Old and Too Late Schmart
- 17 - Mother Teresa’s Advice
- 18 - 1-2-3 Is Your Job Description
- 19 - Answer the WHY Questions: Your Company
- 20 - Answer the WHY Questions: Your Employees
- 21 - How to Park Your Ego
- 22 - Own Their Head, Heart, and Soul
- 23 - Who Gets the Credit?
- 24 - Catalog and Use Those Tribal Stories
- 25 - If You Have Time to Lean...
- 26 - Roadblocks and Resources
- 27 - On Message: Your Brand Promise
- 28 - A Blinding Flash: You Are in the People Business
- 29 - You Will NEVER Understand People
- 30 - Nobody Notices Normal
- 31 - Critical First Impressions
- 32 - Hire Winners and Fire Your Losers—But Do It Right
- 33 - The “Must” Checklist
- 34 - Invest in People
- 35 - A Chance to Take a Chance
- 36 - The 3 × 5 Card System Agenda Jogger
- 37 - Horses and People = Breeding and Past Performance
- 38 - Discrimination Is Alive and Well
- 39 - Be a Magnet and Attract the Best
- 40 - Hiring Smart Means Never Selling the Job
- 41 - Invest in Yourself
- 42 - Invest in Your Team
- 43 - Invest in Your Customers
- 44 - Give ’Em a Great Reputation
- 45 - Can We Be Friends?
- 46 - Protect Yourself From Workers With “Selective Memory”
- 47 - Why There Is No Such Thing as “Fair” in Managing and Motivating People
- 48 - 3 Types of Motivation
- 49 - My Job Is to Sell You—YES, YOU CAN!
- 50 - Understanding the Role of Acceptance in Motivating Others
- 51 - The 3 Things That Will Create Instant Team Synergy
- 52 - Why Great Leaders Never Judge or Confront Their People
- 53 - It’s About Outcomes, Stupid!
- 54 - The 1 Deadly Error Managers Make When Delivering Criticism
- 55 - CP1 = EN1
- 56 - Celebrate: Turn Little Times Into Big Ones
- 57 - 1 Word to Master: Leadership
- 58 - Courage vs. Conformity
- 59 - To Be Effective, Do More Than “Walk the Talk”
- 60 - Meeting Their Needs: Create a Salad Bar
- 61 - Positive Models: Your Way or the Highway
- 62 - Your Speed = Their Speed
- 63 - What Is Your Role in Inspiring People in a World of Negative Messages?
- 64 - Don’t Be a Know-It-All
- 65 - Shoveling Coal and 4 Crucial Questions
- 66 - Your Culture Is NOT a Democracy
- 67 - Rules vs. Guidelines: Know the Difference
- 68 - You Can’t Be Fired Unless…
- 69 - Kill the Snake!
- 70 - America’s Promise: Equal Rights
- 71 - ASK—It Is Easierto Stay Out of Trouble
- 72 - Are You a Conformist?
- 73 - Sell Your Unique Strengths—No Layoffs
- 74 - Monkey See, Monkey Do
- 75 - Read Your Job Description
- 76 - Intentions Are as Important as Actions
- 77 - The 1 Thing You Must Do to Get Employees to Respect You
- 78 - The Man in the Mirror
- 79 - The H.E.L.M. Principle
- 80 - Integrity: When 2 People Know
- 81 - Mom, Sunday School, and a Grand Jury
- 82 - Faith, Failure, and Forgiveness
- 83 - Inside and Outside Listening Mechanisms
- 84 - Work ON, Not IN Your Business
- 85 - Boss, Heal Thyself—For You Are the Problem
- 86 - It Won’t Get Better With Age
- 87 - Facelift, Extreme Makeover—Good Getting Better
- 88 - How Smart People Learn
- 89 - Chasing Symptoms
- 90 - You Must Know You Don’t Know
- 91 - Checklists Are a Must
- 92 - Zero Defections and Postmortems
- 93 - Consistency
- 94 - Your Hall of Fame
- 95 - Your Wall of Shame
- 96 - The Oxen Principle
- 97 - Satisfaction: The Kiss of Death!
- 98 - Correct Your Thinking = Retraining
- 99 - Keyoka
- 100 - Your ABCs and 1,000 Little Things
- 101 - Green Is Growing; Red Is Rotting
- 102 - Teacher, Preacher, Coach, or Shrink?
- 103 - A Different Approach to Communication: Using “McMeetings”
- 104 - The Hidden Payoff in Training Events
- 105 - Uncle F.E.S.S.
- 106 - Do You Have Reasons—Or Excuses?
- 107 - What Is True Empowerment?
- 108 - MMFI
- 109 - Card Everyone
- 110 - Feel the Fear
- 111 - They Don’t Know How Much You Care
- 112 - Forget Telling: Show Them You Love Them
- 113 - Friendly and Firm, but Is It Fair?
- 114 - Little p, Big E
- 115 - They Must Agree: A Willing Spirit
- 116 - The Magic Question: What Do You Think?
- 117 - How to Follow the “Wise Judge Principle” in Dealing With People
- 118 - Your Door Is Open
- 119 - Weasel Words
- 120 - A Family Affair
- 121 - Your Greatest Challenge: Egocentric
- 122 - The Only Thing That Works When People Are Off-Track
- 123 - Winston’s Wisdom: Your Best Is Not Enough
- 124 - Fringe Benefits
- 125 - Retention: Annual Revenues Stink
- 126 - You Should Be Arrested!
- 127 - If They Need a Raise, Fire the Boss
- 128 - Correct and Move On
- 129 - Catch Them Being Good
- 130 - Focus on Behavior, Not People
- 131 - Get Mad
- 132 - Traditions
- 133 - I Care and You Matter to Me
- 134 - Caring and Sharing
- 135 - Old Chinese Wisdom
- 136 - Nothing to Hide; Hide Nothing
- 137 - Test Question: Am I Fairly Paid?
- 138 - Beware of the Seniority Trap
- 139 - Rank Has Its Privileges
- 140 - Want Loyalty? Get Yourself a Dog!
- 141 - Control Benefits Costs by Measuring and Monitoring P&L Creep
- 142 - Show Me the Money
- 143 - Behavior = Outcomes
- 144 - 1 More Time: Me to We
- 145 - Your Definition of Success
- 146 - Your Inspiration = Their Perspiration
- 147 - Technology Requires Investment
- 148 - Sort Ideas: Today, Tomorrow, and the Future
- 149 - How to Fire People and Have Them Say Thank You
- 150 - Applause: Your To-Done List
- 151 - Buy My Books and Use Them
- About the Author
- Title: 151 Quick Ideas to Inspire Your Staff
- Release date: October 2005
- Publisher(s): Career Press
- ISBN: 9781564148292
You might also like
Ways and Means for Managing Up: 50 Strategies for Helping You and Your Boss Succeed
WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO SUCCEED AT WORK? MAKE SURE YOUR BOSS SUCCEEDS FIRST. Today's typical …
The Rules of Thinking
The Rules of Thinking
The Little Book of Big Management Theories, 2nd Edition
101 management theories from the world’s best management thinkers – the fast, focussed and express route …
Computational Thinking - A beginner's guide to problem-solving and programming
Computational thinking (CT) is a timeless, transferable skill that enables you to think more clearly and …