Get a clear picture of the salaries and bonuses data science professionals around the world receive, as well as the tools and cloud providers they use, the tasks they perform, and how interpersonal ("soft") skills might affect their pay. The fifth edition of O’Reilly’s online Data Science Salary Survey provides complete results from nearly 800 participants from 69 different countries, 42 different US states, and Washington, DC.
With five years of data, the survey’s results are consistent enough to reliably identify changes and trends. The survey asked specific questions about industry, team, and company size, but also posed questions such as, "How easy is it to move to another position?" or "What is your next career step?" You can plug in your own data points to the survey model and see how you compare to other data science professionals in your industry.
With this report, you’ll learn:
- Where data scientists make the highest salaries—by country and by US state
- Tools that respondents most commonly use on the job, and tools that contribute most to salary
- Activities that contribute to higher earnings
- How gender and bargaining skills affect salaries when all other factors are equal
- Salary differences between those using open source tools vs those using proprietary tools
- How the increase in respondents outside of the US signal a rise in international companies starting and growing data organizations
Participate in the 2018 Survey: Spend just 5 to 10 minutes and take the anonymous salary survey here: https://www.oreilly.com/ideas/take-the-data-science-salary-survey.
Table of contents
- Take the Data Science Salary Survey
- 2017 Data Science Salary Survey
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Introduction
- 3. Salary
- 4. Work Setup and Tools
- 5. Conclusion
- 6. We need your data.
- Title: 2017 Data Science Salary Survey
- Release date: December 2018
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491997062
You might also like
Analytical Skills for AI and Data Science
While several market-leading companies have successfully transformed their business models by following data- and AI-driven paths, …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
Don't simply show your data—tell a story with it! Storytelling with Data teaches you the fundamentals …