Tricky Tales: A Cross-Team
1. To learn the difference between competitive and collaborative
2. To learn the techniques of cross-team teamwork.
A minimum of 16 people.
A large room with four round or rectangular tables and chairs spread
out around the room so that the teams can have some privacy.
1. Four envelopes containing 3 x 5 cards prepared according to the
Directions for Preparing the Tricky Tales.
2. A copy of Teamwork Guidelines for each person.
3. A copy of Observer Guidelines for each observer.
1. Form four teams of at least four people each. Designate the
teams 1, 2, 3, and 4. Ask one person from each team to volunteer
to be an observer. Brief the observer using the Observer
2. Review the Teamwork Guidelines with the total group. Distribute
the envelopes to the four teams.
3. The facilitator makes it clear that the activity is not over until all
four teams have all the clues to their tale and the correct answer
to their tale.
4. The facilitator will tell the teams when they have all the clues and
if they have the correct answer to their tale.
5. When everyone is finished, the observers provide feedback to
their team and lead a discussion on things that helped and
hindered the process.
6. The facilitator leads a discussion on how teams can work
effectively with other teams. The session concludes with a
lecturette on cross-team teamwork.