Where is my order?
It is the purpose of this exercise to help participants evaluate their written communication
skills as they relate to several important international cultures. Specifically, participants will:
• Test their multicultural written communication skills
• Understand where they need improvement in their written communication skills
• Explore the differences in multicultural written communication
Business executives and managers who deal with managers, negotiators, salespersons,
trainers, etc., with diverse cultural backgrounds. An audience of 20 or less is ideal.
• Writing materials—paper and pens
• Handout 1, “Where is my order?” for each participant
1. Give a copy of the handout to each participant, and then ask that each person write a
memo to a partner from a different culture. Assign each individual a specific culture to
write to (American, French, Saudi Arabian, Chinese, etc.). You can also develop and
assign a different topic if the work of the group commonly involves memos that you are
2. When they have written the memo, ask participants to discuss their memos in small groups.
3. Ask the groups to share what they learned and their results.
4. Debrief by pointing out, as needed, how to start and end the memo and how to greet and
persuade others from the different cultures. Highlight key words in the memo.