How to build a relationship that puts you firmly in control and produces the business results you need? In The 8 Things We Hate About IT, Susan Cramm provides the answers.
Start by understanding differences between operational and IT managers - in backgrounds, personality, pressures, and incentives. Cramm explains how differences prevent operational managers and IT from communicating what, why, and how they do what they do.
Citing case studies and stories, the author then presents practical strategies for overcoming the difficulty. These include seeing things from your IT partners' perspective, developing a single version of 'truth,' and assuming accountability for IT just as you've done for management of your firm's financial and human resources.
Brutally honest, provocative, and filled with sound advice, this book reveals that the key to solving the IT problem is decidedly un-IT: it's a deeper understanding of human behavior, including how to apply your leadership skills to the world of IT.
Table of contents
- 1. You Need Service, and IT Needs Control
- 2. You Need Results, and IT Needs Respect
- 3. You Need to Focus on Tactics, and IT Needs Strategic Alignment
- 4. You Need IT Funding, and IT Needs Returns
- 5. You Need On-Time Delivery, and IT Needs Quality
- 6. You Need Customization, and IT Needs Standardization
- 7. You Need Innovation, and IT Functions in Bureaucracy
- 8. You Need Good IT, and IT Can Become Great
- APPENDIX A: A Primer on Fast-Cycle Development
- APPENDIX B: Emerging Technologies
- APPENDIX C: Key Responsibilities of the New Business–IT Partnership
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Title: 8 Things We Hate About IT: How to Move Beyond the Frustrations to Form a New Partnership with IT
- Release date: March 2010
- Publisher(s): Harvard Business Review Press
- ISBN: 9781422131664
You might also like
Designing for Product Strategy
How do you create a truly unique digital product that has potential to disrupt the market? …
The Product Manager's Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Succeed as a Product Manager, 2nd Edition
Advance in your product management career and create innovative products that customers love! Regardless of industry …
Leading with Strategic Thinking: Four Ways Effective Leaders Gain Insight, Drive Change, and Get Results
Be a more effective leader with strategic thinking Leading with Strategic Thinking reveals what effective leaders …
The Business Bottleneck
Many mainstream companies are striving to adopt the “tech company” business model established over the past …