In this chapter, the reader is introduced to microcontrollers, its evolution, applications and main features. After completion of the chapter, the reader should be able to understand:
- Functions of a microcontroller.
- Essential peripherals for a microcontroller.
- Difference between a microprocessor (like 8085) and a microcontroller (e.g. MCS-51).
- The difference between Princeton and Harvard architectures.
- Variations in MCS-51 family of microcontrollers.
- Importance of power management in microcontrollers.
- Different types of packaging used for microcontrollers.
1.1 | Introduction
In last 40 years or so, we have witnessed a silent but rapid revolution as far as electronic computing, communication and control are ...