In this chapter, we will learn about some external and internal features of MCS-51 microcontroller. After completion of the chapter, the reader should be able to
- Name major external signals and their types.
- Identify minimum input to make the system working.
- Understand alternate functions of some pins.
- Explain basic internal architecture of MCS-51.
- Know details of program memory and data memory.
- Understand registers, system clock characteristics and reset circuit.
2.1 | External Features
As mentioned in the previous chapter, MCS-51 core is available in many variations. For easier discussions, we select a standard version of MCS-51, the 8051 or XX51. This XX may be replaced by 80, 87 or even by 89C. However, ...