In this comprehensive, practical guide, award-winning photojournalist Stacy Pearsall offers the techniques, guidance, and inspiration needed to succeed in the dynamic and exciting field of photojournalism.
Starting with an overview of photojournalism and her experience as both a combat and domestic photographer, Stacy covers the basics of preparing for assignments, discussing such key topics as selecting suitable attire for different environments, assembling essential camera gear, developing the right approach for a story, and honing your shooting technique. beyond the fundamentals, Stacy then dives into the nitty-gritty details of photojournalism work, providing insights into living and working in harsh conditions, maintaining physical and mental health, and managing relationships with subjects.
The book interweaves hundreds of Stacy’s amazing photographs with stories of her experiences in the field, providing context for advice on everything from navigating unfamiliar locations, to properly exposing your images, to building innovative multimedia projects. Follow her into "the trenches" for the fascinating stories behind the shots, which show by example how to get the best photographs you can, even under the most challenging circumstances.
Features stunning full-color images from some of the author’s most dramatic moments as a photojournalist
Offers insights on preparing for long-term assignments, working in austere environments, and reintegrating into society after a project
Interweaves photography techniques with advice on interacting with subjects and creating compelling stories
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- Introduction: In the Trenches
- Chapter 1. Understanding Your Role
- Chapter 2. Preparation: Everything but the Camera
- Chapter 3. Gear Essentials
- Chapter 4. My Shooting Methodology
- Chapter 5. Covering All the Angles
- Chapter 6. Putting It All Together
- Chapter 7. Staying Above Board
- Chapter 8. Staying Afloat
- Title: A Photojournalist’s Field Guide: In the trenches with combat photographer Stacy Pearsall
- Release date: March 2013
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 9780133257915