Get A Practical Guide to Fedora™ and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® now with O’Reilly online learning.
O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from 200+ publishers.
Startup Files 282
Redirecting Standard Error 285
Writing a Simple Shell Script 288
Job Control 296
Manipulating the Directory Stack 298
Parameters and Variables 301
Re-executing and Editing Commands 320
Controlling bash: Features and Options 340
Processing the Command Line 344
After reading this chapter you should be able to:
• Describe the purpose and history of the Bourne Again Shell
• List the startup files bash runs
• Use three different methods to run a shell script
• Manage multiple processes with job control
• Redirect error messages to a file
• Use special characters to separate and group commands
• Create variables and display the values of ...