Mexico is a land inhabited by several indigenous civilizations and was conquered by Spain in 1521. The country is mostly a racial mix between the Spanish and native cultures. It is a traditionalist society where family, religion, and culture play a key role. The role of the marketplace is constrained by the government and local interest groups such as unions, political parties, commerce chambers, and private firms. The market for corporate control is scarce. Corporate governance codes are voluntary.
Corporate ownership is concentrated with few institutional investors. Shareholder activism is uncommon. Corporate boards are single tier in nature. CEO duality is common practice. Boards are made mostly of insiders and shareholder representatives. Independent board members hold minority stakes.
This book starts by describing the macro context in which Mexico is embedded. We then focus on its corporate governance system: laws, regulatory bodies, code of good governance, stock market and the peculiarities of local business groups. The central part of the book summarizes key characteristics of board structure and networks in the country. The book ends with interviews of two well-known directors and suggestions to move the governance field forward in Mexico.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Chapter 1 The Emerging Market Context: Why Does It Matter?
- Chapter 2 The Mexican Context
- Chapter 3 The Mexican Governance Model: A Comparative Perspective
- Chapter 4 Corporate Governance in Mexico
- Chapter 5 Family Involvement
- Chapter 6 Board Composition in Mexico
- Chapter 7 Corporate Networks in Mexico
- Chapter 8 An Interview with Jaime Serra-Puche
- Chapter 9 An Interview with Claudio X Gonzalez
- Chapter 10 Suggestions to Move Forward
- About the Authors
- Title: A Primer on Corporate Governance
- Release date: October 2019
- Publisher(s): Business Expert Press
- ISBN: 9781631575822
You might also like
Head First PMP, 4th Edition
What will you learn from this book? Head First PMP teaches you the latest principles and …
Do Business Better
Build your best life by forging your own path to business success After speaking to companies …
Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination, 2nd Edition
Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination introduces students and professionals to the world of fraud detection and …
Building Better Ideas
Why do teams settle for bad ideas or kill good ones? Popular consultant B. Kim Barnes's …