People decisions—hiring, promotion, and dismissal—are the most important decisions an organization makes. Adhering to the right procedure in picking people should improve the rate of successful placements. The right procedure involves:
(1) Thinking through the job assignment.
(2) Interviewing a number of people for the job.
(3) Looking at what each candidate has done well in the past.
(4) Discussing a candidate’s performance with those with whom he or she has previously worked.
(5) Being very clear about the specific assignment to the candidate selected, to the point of having the candidate repeat the description of the assignment to the executive.
These procedures should help ...