In This Chapter
• Use strings to store text
• Read bytes from a file into a program
• Create a new file on your computer
• Save an array of bytes to a file
• Make changes to the data stored in a file
There are numerous ways to represent data on a computer. You already have worked with one by creating objects. An object includes data in the form of variables and references to objects. It also includes methods that use the data to accomplish tasks.
To work with other kinds of data, such as files on your hard drive and documents on a web server, you can use the classes of the
java.io package. The
io part of its name stands for input/output, and the classes are used to access a source of data, such as a hard drive, a DVD, ...