This is the digital version of the printed book (Copyright © 2000).
Winner of the 2001 Software Development Jolt Product Excellence Award
This innovative text offers a practical, realistic approach to managing high-speed, high-change software development projects. Consultant James A. Highsmith shows readers how to increase collaboration and adapt to uncertainty.
Many organizations start high-speed, high-change projects without knowing how to do them–and even worse, without knowing they don’t know. Successful completion of these projects is often at the expense of the project team.
Adaptive Software Development emphasizes an adaptive, collaborative approach to software development. The concepts allow developers to “scale-up” rapid application development and extreme programming approaches for use on larger, more complex projects.
The four goals of the book are to
support an adaptive culture or mindset, in which change and uncertainty are assumed to be the natural state–not a false expectation of order
introduce frameworks to guide the iterative process of managing change
institute collaboration, the interaction of people on three levels: interpersonal, cultural, and structural
add rigor and discipline to the RAD approach, making it scalable to the uncertainty and complexity of real-life undertakings
Table of contents
- About This eBook
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Also Available from DORSET HOUSE PUBLISHING CO.
- Permissions Acknowledgments
- Chapter 1. Software Ascents
- Chapter 2. Thriving at the Edge of Chaos
- Chapter 3. The Project Mission
- Chapter 4. Planning Adaptive Development Cycles
- Chapter 5. Great Groups and the Ability to Collaborate
- Chapter 6. Learning: Models, Techniques, and Cycle Review Practices
- Chapter 7. Why Even Good Managers Cause Projects to Fail
- Chapter 8. Adaptive Management
- Chapter 9. Workstate Life Cycle Management
- Chapter 10. Structural Collaboration
- Chapter 11. Managing Project Time Cycles
- Chapter 12. Dawdling, McLuhan, and Thin Air
- Title: Adaptive Software Development: A Collaborative Approach to Managing Complex Systems
- Release date: July 2013
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780133489460
You might also like
Technology Strategy Patterns
Technologists who want their ideas heard, understood, and funded are often told to speak the language …
Righting Software: A Method for System and Project Design
Right Your Software and Transform Your Career presents the proven, structured, and highly engineered approach to …
Semantic Software Design
With this practical book, architects, CTOs, and CIOs will learn a set of patterns for the …
Essentials of Software Engineering, 4th Edition
Written for the undergraduate, one-term course, Essentials of Software Engineering, Fourth Edition provides students with a …