You can have a successful career and be the dad you want to be.
Finally, we've moved past the days when providing for your family meant taking a backseat role in your children's lives. Still, many of us aren't finding the support and flexibility we need, and the time-management challenge of performing at work while being a present dad at home can feel impossible.
Advice for Working Dads will help you balance and integrate your career and fatherhood, navigate always-on work cultures, and find success and fulfillment in one of the toughest—and most important—jobs you’ll ever take on.
You'll learn to:
- Set reasonable expectations and limits
- Carve out quality time for family, even when you're at your busiest
- Stay true to yourself, your friends, and your personal interests
- Communicate better with your spouse or partner about careers, parenting, and chores
- Model your work and life values for your children
The HBR Working Parents Series with Daisy Dowling, Series Editor, supports readers as you anticipate challenges, learn how to advocate for yourself more effectively, juggle your impossible schedule, and find fulfillment at home and at work. Whether you're up with a newborn or planning the future with your teen, you'll find the practical tips, strategies, and research you need to make working parenthood work for you.
Table of contents
- Series Page
- Title Page
- Introduction: Starting a New Conversation
- Section 1: We Can Do It, Too!: Burying Old Working-Dad Clichés
- Section 2: Planes to Catch and Bills to Pay: Navigating Fatherhood and Your Career
- Section 3: All Work and No Play . . .: Dedicating Time to Your Family and Yourself
- Section 4: Finding the Sweet Spot: Succeeding Where Work, Values, and Family Intersect
- Epilogue: Take Things One Day at a Time
- About the Contributors
- Title: Advice for Working Dads (HBR Working Parents Series)
- Release date: June 2021
- Publisher(s): Harvard Business Review Press
- ISBN: 9781647821029
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …