Organizations across all industries are attempting to capitalize on the promise of Big Data by using their information assets as a source of competitive advantage. In doing so, they are investing heavily in areas such as analytic tools and new storage capabilities. However, they often neglect the data management layer of the equation: it’s not simply about finding an optimal way to store or analyze the data, but it’s also vital that you prepare and manage the data for consumption. After all, if the data is inaccurate or incomplete, no consumer will trust or use it.
Typically, organizations expend a lot of time on manual data cleaning and vetting to create "master records"—a single, trusted view of an organizational entity such as a customer or supplier—and this is often the area where most help is needed.
This report explains just how powerful machine learning can be when applied directly to the creation of master data records. Known as agile data mastering, this method leverages ML’s speed and flexibility to quickly create accurate master records that can scale across datasets and domains. You’ll learn agile data mastering processes based on the operation of Tamr, an enterprise-scale data unification company that applies human-guided machine learning to this task.
This report explores the:
- Overall importance and many uses of master data records
- Challenge of creating these records in distributed, complex data environments
- Differences between traditional master data management (MDM) and agile data mastering
- Advantages of agile data mastering
- Technology of Tamr, a data unification company that provides agile data mastering solutions
Table of contents
- Foreword by Tom Davenport
- Executive Summary
Agile Data Mastering
- Importance of the Master Record
- Reasons for Data Mastering
- Traditional Approaches to Master Data Management
- What Is Agile Data Mastering?
- Starting Elements
- Title: Agile Data Mastering
- Release date: January 2018
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492028451
You might also like
Semantic Modeling for Data
What value does semantic data modeling offer? As an information architect or data science professional, let’s …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Software Architecture Patterns
The success of any application or system depends on the architecture pattern you use. By describing …