CHAPTER 13: WASTE MANAGEMENT
What is waste management?
Waste in an organisation can take many forms. It can be an overt waste of:
- budget funds (e.g. equipment that is purchased, but is never used)
- skilled resources (e.g. a product that staff dedicated eight months of their time to, which did not meet the needs of the marketplace)
- available time (e.g. staff spending three months developing a discussion paper, leaving them only one month to act on the resulting decision).
Or it can be a much more subtle waste of finances, skilled resources and available time by having:
- products and services that are ‘over-delivered’ to provide more than the target audience needed (or even wanted)
- employees who are in a ‘holding pattern’, waiting on input from ...