Chapter 2. First steps with Ajax
This chapter covers
- Introducing the technologies behind Ajax
- Using Cascading Style Sheets to define look and feel
- Using the Document Object Model to define the user interface structure
- Using XMLHttpRequest to asynchronously contact the server
- Putting the pieces together
In chapter 1 we focused on users and how Ajax can assist them in their daily activities. Most of us are developers, and so, having convinced ourselves that Ajax is a Good Thing, we need to know how to work with it. The good news is that, as with many brand-new, shiny technologies, most of this process will be reasonably familiar already, particularly if you’ve worked with the Internet.
In this chapter, we’ll explain the Ajax technology. ...