Chapter 11. Achieving high availability: availability zones, auto-scaling, and CloudWatch
This chapter covers
- Using a CloudWatch alarm to recover a failed virtual server
- Understanding availability zones in an AWS region
- Using auto-scaling to guarantee running virtual servers
- Analyzing disaster-recovery requirements
In this chapter, we’ll teach you how to build a high-availability architecture based on EC2 instances. A virtual server isn’t
highly available by default. The following scenarios cause an outage of your virtual server:
- The virtual server fails because of a software issue (the OS of the virtual server).
- A software issue occurs on the host server, causing the virtual server to crash (the OS of the host server or virtualization ...