Chapter 17. Scaling up and down: auto-scaling and CloudWatch
This chapter covers
- Creating an auto-scaling group with launch configuration
- Using auto-scaling to change the number of virtual machines
- Scaling a synchronous decoupled app behind a load balancer (ALB)
- Scaling an asynchronous decoupled app using a queue (SQS)
Suppose you’re organizing a party to celebrate your birthday. How much food and drink do you need to buy? Calculating the right numbers for your shopping list is difficult:
- How many people will attend? You received several confirmations, but some guests will cancel at short notice or show up without letting you know in advance. So the number of guests is vague.
- How much will your guests eat and drink? Will it be a hot day, ...