The IMS Transaction Manager (IMS TM) performs online transaction processing, which consists of the following steps:
1. Receiving a request for work to be done. The request usually consists of a transaction code, which identifies to IMS the type of work to be done, and data, which is used in performing the work. The request can also be an IMS command. The request can be entered from many sources, including the following:
• The terminal network
• Another IMS instance using Multiple Systems Coupling (MSC)
• Another subsystem such as Customer Information Control System (CICS), DB2, or WebSphere MQ
• The web
• Programs using intersystem communications (ISC)
• Programs using advanced program-to-program ...