Chapter 4. Intents and Services
This chapter covers
- Asking other programs to do work for you with intents
- Advertising your capabilities with intent filters
- Eavesdropping on other apps with broadcast receivers
- Building Services to provide long-lived background processing
- Offering APIs to external applications through AIDL
You’ve already created some interesting applications that didn’t require a lot of effort to build. In this chapter, we’ll dig deeper into the use of Intent objects and related classes to accomplish tasks. We’ll expand the RestaurantFinder application from chapter 3, and show you how an Intent can carry you from one Activity to another and easily link into outside applications. Next, you’ll create a new weather-reporting application ...