PRAISE FOR ANGEL INVESTING
"The world of entrepreneurial startups is where the most exciting and creative action is happening in today's business world, which is why I was a strong supporter of the JOBS Act of 2012. No wonder millions of people are wondering how they can get involved as investors. There's no better place to start than by reading David S. Rose's Angel Investing."
—U.S. SENATOR CHARLES E. SCHUMER, Senate Finance Committee
"From the best methods for finding and picking tomorrow's big winners to proven techniques for adding value to any business you invest in, Angel Investing provides readers with everything they need to know to get started in this fascinating, fun—and lucrative—business arena."
—DAVID BACH, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Automatic Millionaire and Start Late Finish Rich, Angel Investor
"As an angel investor and a long-time fan of David S. Rose, I was delighted to hear he finally captured his wit and wisdom in the pages of a book. David's witty stories and angel investing principles — as well as his unsurpassed knowledge of his field — are teaching me so much more about investing than I've learned over the years doing it!"
—BARBARA CORCORAN, Real Estate Mogul, Shark Tank star, Angel Investor
"This is the most comprehensive and readable guide to angel investing ever written. The chapter on valuation and expectations lays out a clear framework for understanding one of the least well-known pitfalls in the angel world. And its emphasis on creating a win-win relationship with the entrepreneur is at the heart of being a long-term successful angel—and continuing to see the best deal flow. I recommend this book to anyone even thinking about making or receiving angel investments."
—HOWARD L. MORGAN, Founding Partner, First Round Capital
"Angel Investing is an engaging, easy read, full of real stories and hard numbers, actual cases and a whole lot of good advice. David S. Rose brings tons of real-world knowledge to the subject that makes this required reading for every new angel."
—TIM BERRY, Author of Business Plan Pro, Entrepreneur, Angel Investor
"Anyone with a checkbook can be an angel investor, but it takes insight to do it well. David S. Rose has written a terrific new book that will help would-be angels make money, rather than lose it. From explaining the value of diversification, to tips on evaluating deals, to offering up plans to attract good deals, Angel Investing will help you move from a money-losing amateur to a money-making professional angel. And if you're an entrepreneur looking for angel money, you should read this book too. It will help you understand what knowledgeable angels are seeking and how they will evaluate you."
—SCOTT SHANE, author of Fool's Gold? The Truth Behind Angel Investing in America
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
PART I: The Basics of Angel Investing
- 1: The 25 Percent Annual Return
- 2: Plus, It's Really Fun!
3: The Portfolio Theory of Angel Investing
- Truth 1: Most Startups Fail
- Truth 2: No One Knows Which Startups Are Not Going to Fail
- Truth 3: Investing in Startups Is a Numbers Game
- Truth 4: What Ends Up, Usually Went Down First
- Truth 5: All Companies Always Need More Money
- Truth 6: If You Understand and Follow Truths 1 to 5, Angel Investing Can Be Very Lucrative
- 4: The Financial Life of a Startup
PART II: The Nuts and Bolts
- 5: Develop Your Deal Flow
- 6: Bet the Jockey, Not the Horse
- 7: Here Comes the Pitch
- 8: Look Under the Hood and Lead a Deal
- 9: Valuations and Expectations
- 10: Investment Rounds and Their Forms
- 11: The Art of the Angel Deal
- 12: Term Sheets and Closing
- 13: After the Investment
- 14: Exits and Other Unicorns
PART III: Your Place in the World of Angels
- 15: The Entrepreneurship Financing Ecosystem
- 16: Building Your Angelic Reputation
- 17: Joining an Angel Group
- 18: Impact Investing
- 19: Sit Back and Let Someone Else Do the Work
- 20: Crowdfunding and the Global Revolution
- A: Angel Screening and Valuation Worksheet
- B: Angel Investment Due Diligence Checklist
- C: Gust Convertible Note Term Sheet
- D: Gust Series Seed Term Sheet
- E: Gust Revenue-Backed Note Term Sheet
- F: International Angel Investor Federations
- G: Major Regional Angel Groups
- H: Angel Investing Blogs and Resources
- Title: Angel Investing: The Gust Guide to Making Money and Having Fun Investing in Startups
- Release date: April 2014
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118858257