For nearly a decade, Apache Kafka has been the go-to publish-subscribe (pub-sub) messaging system—and for good reason. It offers functionality for a wide range of enterprise use cases, along with a large ecosystem of tools and a dedicated community. But lately, upstart Apache Pulsar has been gaining ground. This detailed report explains why.
Apache Pulsar takes the best parts of Kafka and expands on them to solve problems that were out of scope of Kafka’s original design. Author Chris Bartholomew shows you how Kafka and Pulsar compare and where they differ. Engineers and other technical decision makers will learn the advantages that make Pulsar a compelling alternative to Kafka.
- Explore the architecture and major components of Kafka and Pulsar
- Discover the benefits of Pulsar’s subscription model for messaging
- Understand how Pulsar simplifies the messaging system for organizations that need high performance pub-sub messaging, delivery guarantees, and traditional messaging patterns
- Learn how Pulsar’s separation of serving and storing makes it natural to run in cloud native environments like Kubernetes
- See how Kafka and Pulsar perform on the OpenMessage Project benchmark
Table of contents
Apache Pulsar Versus Apache Kafka
- What Is Apache Pulsar?
- Pub–Sub Messaging: An Overview
- Traditional Messaging
- Queues and Competing Consumers
- Pulsar: Pub–Sub and Queue Together
- Log Abstraction
- Title: Apache Pulsar Versus Apache Kafka
- Release date: December 2019
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492076544
You might also like
Apache Pulsar in Action
Deliver lightning fast and reliable messaging for your distributed applications with the flexible and resilient Apache …
Apache Kafka Series - Kafka Monitoring and Operations
This course helps you learn Kafka administration, Kafka monitoring, Kafka operations, and Kafka upgrades. It covers …
Cloud-Native Microservices with Apache Pulsar: Build Distributed Messaging Microservices
Apply different enterprise integration and processing strategies available with Pulsar, Apache's multi-tenant, high-performance, cloud-native messaging and …
Apache Kafka Series - Kafka Cluster Setup and Administration
This course is designed for system administrators, architects and developers. It includes a step-by-step guide for …