Video descriptionA comprehensive guide to designing and implementing secure services. A must-read book for all API practitioners who manage security.
Gilberto Taccari, Penta
A web API is an efficient way to communicate with an application or service. However, this convenience opens your systems to new security risks. API Security in Action gives you the skills to build strong, safe APIs you can confidently expose to the world. Inside, you’ll learn to construct secure and scalable REST APIs, deliver machine-to-machine interaction in a microservices architecture, and provide protection in resource-constrained IoT (Internet of Things) environments.
about the technology
APIs control data sharing in every service, server, data store, and web client. Modern data-centric designs—including microservices and cloud-native applications—demand a comprehensive, multi-layered approach to security for both private and public-facing APIs.
about the book
API Security in Action teaches you how to create secure APIs for any situation. By following this hands-on guide you’ll build a social network API while mastering techniques for flexible multi-user security, cloud key management, and lightweight cryptography. When you’re done, you’ll be able to create APIs that stand up to complex threat models and hostile environments.
- Audit logging
- Rate limiting
about the audience
For developers with experience building RESTful APIs. Examples are in Java.
about the author
Neil Madden has in-depth knowledge of applied cryptography, application security, and current API security technologies. He holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science.Anyone who wants an in-depth understanding of API security should read this.
Bobby Lin, DBS Bank
I highly recommend this book to those developing APIs.
Jorge Bo, Naranja X
The best comprehensive guide about API security I have read.
Marc Roulleau, GIRO
NARRATED BY MARIANNE SHEEHAN
Table of contents
- Part 1. Foundations
- Chapter 1 What is API security?
- Chapter 2 Secure API development
- Chapter 3 Securing the Natter API
- Part 2. Token-based authentication
- Chapter 4 Session cookie authentication
- Chapter 5 Modern token-based authentication
- Chapter 6 Self-contained tokens and JWTs
- Part 3. Authorization
- Chapter 7 OAuth2 and OpenID Connect
- Chapter 8 Identity-based access control
- Chapter 9 Capability-based security and macaroons
- Part 4. Microservice APIs in Kubernetes
- Chapter 10 Microservice APIs in Kubernetes
- Chapter 11 Securing service-to-service APIs
- Part 5. APIs for the Internet of Things
- Chapter 12 Securing IoT communications
- Chapter 13 Securing IoT APIs
- Title: API Security in Action
- Release date: November 2020
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: None
You might also like
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …