We know what you’re thinking. You’ve heard about
AppleScript. You’ve heard that it can do amazing things.
You’ve heard that it can automate away the tiring, redundant,
repetitive tasks you do with the computer.
All true. But you’re not sure about what’s involved with using it. Is it difficult? Is it programming? After all, you’re just a better-than average computer user. You know what you know, and your expertise serves you pretty well. But recently you’ve reached the point of asking yourself “Is there a better way?” The answer is “Yes.”
And relax, you just got lucky. This book is for you.
If you’ve never written a single line of computer code—this book is for you. If the most technical thing you do on the computer is calculate a column in Excel—this book is for you. If you’re tired of doing the same thing over and over—this book is for you.
It’s about being motivated to explore, understand, and take advantage of the tools you already own. AppleScript is free—the only price for its use is your desire to finally sit down and take a few moments to absorb and activate its magic.
This book starts at square one and walks you through the process of understanding and writing AppleScript—step by step, one concept at a time—until you find yourself suddenly creating powerful and useful automated solutions. And the lessons in this book are based on a decade of experience teaching hands-on classes to folks just like you. You can do this. You can become Master of your Computer Universe!
Still don’t believe us? Open the first chapter and start reading. You’ll see.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
Part I. Instant AppleScript
- Lesson 1. The First Step
- Lesson 2. Dictionaries
- Lesson 3. Identifying Objects
- Lesson 4. Finding Objects
- Lesson 5. Special Folders
- Lesson 6. Information Tools
- Lesson 7. Actions with Items
- Lesson 8. Data Containers, Operators, and Coercions
- Lesson 9. Communicating with the User
- Lesson 10. Conditionals
- Lesson 11. The Repeat Loop
- Lesson 12. Error Handlers
Part II. Essential Topics
- Lesson 13. Script Editor
- Lesson 14. AppleScript Utility
- Lesson 15. Script Properties
- Lesson 16. Subroutines
- Lesson 17. Working with Text
- Lesson 18. Working with Lists and Records
- Lesson 19. Action Clauses
- Lesson 20. Droplets
- Lesson 21. Folder Actions
- Lesson 22. Image Events
- Lesson 23. Database Events
- Lesson 24. Adding Timing Controls to Scripts
- Lesson 25. Unit Coercions
- Lesson 26. The date Object
- Lesson 27. Connecting to Network Servers
- Lesson 28. GUI Scripting
- Lesson 29. Scripting the Shell
- Lesson 30. Advanced Topics
- Title: Apple Pro Training Series: AppleScript 1-2-3
- Release date: December 2008
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 9780321549655