Master the art of detecting and averting advanced network security attacks and techniques
About This Book
Deep dive into the advanced network security attacks and techniques by leveraging tools such as Kali Linux 2, MetaSploit, Nmap, and Wireshark
Become an expert in cracking WiFi passwords, penetrating anti-virus networks, sniffing the network, and USB hacks
This step-by-step guide shows you how to confidently and quickly detect vulnerabilities for your network before the hacker does
Who This Book Is For
This book is for network security professionals, cyber security professionals, and Pentesters who are well versed with fundamentals of network security and now want to master it. So whether you’re a cyber security professional, hobbyist, business manager, or student aspiring to becoming an ethical hacker or just want to learn more about the cyber security aspect of the IT industry, then this book is definitely for you.
What You Will Learn
Use SET to clone webpages including the login page
Understand the concept of Wi-Fi cracking and use PCAP file to obtain passwords
Attack using a USB as payload injector
Familiarize yourself with the process of trojan attacks
Use Shodan to identify honeypots, rogue access points, vulnerable webcams, and other exploits found in the database
Explore various tools for wireless penetration testing and auditing
Create an evil twin to intercept network traffic
Identify human patterns in networks attacks
Computer networks are increasing at an exponential rate and the most challenging factor organisations are currently facing is network security. Breaching a network is not considered an ingenious effort anymore, so it is very important to gain expertise in securing your network.
The book begins by showing you how to identify malicious network behaviour and improve your wireless security. We will teach you what network sniffing is, the various tools associated with it, and how to scan for vulnerable wireless networks. Then we’ll show you how attackers hide the payloads and bypass the victim’s antivirus.
Furthermore, we’ll teach you how to spoof IP / MAC address and perform an SQL injection attack and prevent it on your website. We will create an evil twin and demonstrate how to intercept network traffic. Later, you will get familiar with Shodan and Intrusion Detection and will explore the features and tools associated with it. Toward the end, we cover tools such as Yardstick, Ubertooth, Wifi Pineapple, and Alfa used for wireless penetration testing and auditing.
This book will show the tools and platform to ethically hack your own network whether it is for your business or for your personal home Wi-Fi.
Style and approach
This mastering-level guide is for all the security professionals who are eagerly waiting to master network security skills and protecting their organization with ease. It contains practical scenarios on various network security attacks and will teach you how to avert these attacks.
Table of contents
- About the Authors
- About the Reviewer
- Customer Feedback
Introduction to Network Security
- Murphy's law
- Hackers (and their types) defined
- The hacking process
- Ethical hacking issues
- Current technologies
- Recent events and statistics of network attacks
- Security for individuals versus companies
- Mitigation against threats
- Building an assessment
Sniffing the Network
What is network sniffing?
- Why network sniffing is important
- Nmap port selection
- Nmap port scan types
- Service and OS detection
- Nmap output formats
- Lab 1-a scan to search for DDoS reflection UDP services
- Using Wireshark filters
- Wireshark filter cheat sheet
- Lab 2
- Lab 3-scanning
- Scanning a subnet
- Evading firewalls
- Gathering version info
- Starting the listener
- What is network sniffing?
How to Crack Wi-Fi Passwords
- Why should we crack our own Wi-Fi?
- What is packet injection?
- Wi-Fi cracking tools
- The Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) handshake
- The short version (a cheat-sheet for the aircrack-ng suite)
- Creating a RAT Using Msfvenom
- Veil Framework
Social Engineering Toolkit and Browser Exploitation
- Social engineering
- What are web injections?
- Cross site scripting (XSS) attacks
- Browser exploitation with BeEF
- Advanced Network Attacks
Passing and Cracking the Hash
- What is a hash?
- Cryptographic hash functions
- How are hashes cracked?
- How do pass the hash attacks impact businesses?
- What defences are there against hash password attacks?
- Links to download tools
- What is SQL and how does it work?
- SQL injection
- Ways to defend against SQL injection attacks
- Bypassing authentication
- Finding vulnerabilities from a targeted sites
- Hunting for web app vulnerabilities with Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) ZAP
- Creating our first packet
- The TCP three way handshake
- Malformed packets
- ACK scan
- TCP port scanning
- Web Application Exploits
- Evil Twins and Spoofing
- Injectable Devices
- The Internet of Things
- Host based
- Summary of differences
- Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
- Alert status
- IDS versus IPS
- Snort as an IPS
- Lab 1-installing Snort and creating ICMP rules lab
- Lab 2-create the following snort.conf and icmp.rules files
- Lab 3-execute Snort
- Lab 4-execute Snort as Daemon
Advance Wireless Security Lab Using the Wi-Fi Pineapple Nano/Tetra
- The history of Wi-Fi - the WLAN standard
- Wireless vulnerability
- The Wi-Fi Pineapple
- For penetration testing
- Offensive Security and Threat Hunting
- Title: Applied Network Security
- Release date: April 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781786466273
You might also like
Become well-versed with basic networking concepts such as routing, switching, and subnetting, and prepare for the …
Learn Kali Linux 2019
Explore the latest ethical hacking tools and techniques in Kali Linux 2019 to perform penetration testing …
Cybersecurity Blue Team Toolkit
A practical handbook to cybersecurity for both tech and non-tech professionals As reports of major data …
Practical Network Scanning
Get more from your network by securing its infrastructure and increasing its effectiveness About This Book …