Maintaining the CSS for any web site or app can be extremely challenging as the product and the team supporting the product grows. This course examines a suite of tools and processes you can use in your development workflows to keep your CSS healthy and consistent. We'll run CSS analysis tools (e.g., Lighthouse, CSS Stats, CSS Dig, etc.) on a set of popular travel sites to highlight the CSS issues on those sites; we'll survey the suggestions for resolving those issues; and then we'll examine a group of highly effective processes and monitoring tools that help teams maintain their style guide CSS and product CSS. Learners should have a solid understanding of basic CSS and HTML.
- Explore the best techniques for measuring your CSS against style guide compliance
- Gain experience using CSS analysis tools like WebPageTest, Lighthouse, CSS Stats, and more
- Master the best methods for integrating CSS analysis tools into your workflow
- Learn about specificity, redundancy, color collision detection, and accessibility compliance detection
- Discover successful processes for onboarding designers and engineers to a style guide
- Learn how to encourage designer-engineer collaboration around style guide maintenance
Archana Sankaranarayanan has a passion for building simple and intuitive user experiences. She works as a senior UI engineer at Netflix and her background includes stints at Coursera, Quantifind, and Adobe Systems. Archana holds a Masters in Information Systems Management from Carnegie Mellon University.
Table of Contents
- What to Optimize in Your CSS
- CSS Analysis Tools
- Style Guide Maintenance
- Title: Applying and Measuring Your CSS Against Your Style Guide
- Release date: October 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491994108