Architecture of Network Systems explains the practice and methodologies that will allow you to solve a broad range of problems in system design, including problems related to security, quality of service, performance, manageability, and more. Leading researchers Dimitrios Serpanos and Tilman Wolf develop architectures for all network sub-systems, bridging the gap between operation and VLSI.
This book provides comprehensive coverage of the technical aspects of network systems, including system-on-chip technologies, embedded protocol processing and high-performance, and low-power design. It develops a functional approach to network system architecture based on the OSI reference model, which is useful for practitioners at every level. It also covers both fundamentals and the latest developments in network systems architecture, including network-on-chip, network processors, algorithms for lookup and classification, and network systems for the next-generation Internet.
The book is recommended for practicing engineers designing the architecture of network systems and graduate students in computer engineering and computer science studying network system design.
- This is the first book to provide comprehensive coverage of the technical aspects of network systems, including processing systems, hardware technologies, memory managers, software routers, and more.
- Develops a systematic approach to network architectures, based on the OSI reference model, that is useful for practitioners at every level.
- Covers both the important basics and cutting-edge topics in network systems architecture, including Quality of Service and Security for mobile, real-time P2P services, Low-Power Requirements for Mobile Systems, and next generation Internet systems.
Table of contents
- Cover Image
- Table of Contents
- Front matter
- About the Authors
- Chapter 1. Architecture of network systems overview
- Chapter 2. Network protocols and network systems
- Chapter 3. Requirements of network systems
- Chapter 4. Interconnects and switching fabrics
- Chapter 5. Network adapters
- Chapter 6. Bridges and layer 2 switches
- Chapter 7. Routers
- Chapter 8. Transport layer systems
- Chapter 9. Application layer systems
- Chapter 10. Quality of service and security
- Chapter 11. Specialized hardware components
- Chapter 12. Power issues in network systems
- Chapter 13. Networks on chips
- Chapter 14. Run-time support systems
- Chapter 15. Next-generation Internet architecture
- Appendix. The layered Internet architecture and network protocols
- Title: Architecture of Network Systems
- Release date: January 2011
- Publisher(s): Morgan Kaufmann
- ISBN: 9780080922829
You might also like
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Python’s simplicity lets you become productive quickly, but this often means you aren’t using everything it …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Cloud Native Data Center Networking
If you want to study, build, or simply validate your thinking about modern cloud native data …