Configuring compression in IIS 6
Configuring compression on IIS 6 is far from straightforward. It involves four steps:
- Switching on compression in the IIS Manager.
- Setting permissions on the folder where compressed static files are cached.
- Updating the metabase.
- Resetting the IIS server.
Let's go through each step.
Switching on compression in the IIS Manager
Switching on compression in the IIS Manager consists of these steps:
- Start IIS manager: Click on Start | Administrative Tools | Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Backup the metabase: Right-click on your server, and then click on All Tasks | Backup/Restore Configuration. Click on the Create Backup button, enter a name for your backup, such as today's date, and click on OK. Finally, click ...