This chapter introduces the concepts behind ASP.NET Web API routing mechanisms. It deals with centralized routing and direct (attribute) routing, which was introduced in version 2 of the framework.
You will learn how to do the following:
- Define routes using both routing engines (Recipes 3-1 and 3-2)
- Use default and optional route values, and apply routing constraints (Recipes 3-3, 3-4, and 3-5)
- Support remote procedure call (Recipe 3-6)
- Define greedy “catch-all” routes and prevent controller methods from becoming routes (Recipes 3-7 and 3-8)
- Apply a message handler to a specific route and use that technique to ignore certain ...