How to overcome challenges with confidence
No matter how successful we are, we all face stressful and hard-to-handle challenges in daily life, and - if we want to be as happy and healthy as we can - we must learn to assert ourselves, make our voices heard and approach life with confidence and self-assurance.
This book is a roadmap to help you navigate your way through those challenging opportunities, hurdles and milestones. Taking universal scenarios case by case, and packed with practical tips, this inspiring, down-to-earth book will give you the tools to build your self-esteem and become happier, healthier, and in control of your own destiny.
Written in an approachable style which posits practical solutions to a range of universal problems
Deals with assertiveness in business, family, social situations and all areas of life
Covers topics like 'dealing with your boss', 'dealing with finances', 'asking for a pay rise', 'saying no at work'
Table of Contents
- Plant Ecology
- Title page
- Copyright page
- 1: What is Assertion?
- 2: Win-Win
- 3: It’s All in the Mind
- 4: Assertive Communication
- A real-life story
- Wake-up call
- Standing in the other person’s/people’s shoes . . . what are they thinking?
- Taking things on when they’re small
- Time to choose
- Now begin!
- 5: Getting the Respect You Deserve at Work: Saying “no,” handling put-downs and being taken seriously
- 6: Getting the Best Out of People at Work: Giving praise and criticism, communicating clearly and getting your requests met
- 7: Handling Difficult Behaviour and Coping with Conflict: Dealing with aggression and gaining commitment from others
- 8: Being Assertive in Meetings and Presentations: Getting our views heard and getting our butterflies under control
- 9: Families – Who’d Have ’em?: Managing kids, handling teenagers and coping with partners and parents assertively
- 10: Friends, Neighbours and Social Occasions: Managing different expectations and keeping relationships in tact
- 11: Getting the Service You Deserve: Standing up for your own needs so that others acknowledge them
- Sustaining Your Assertion: Maintain your self-confidence and well-being
- About the Authors
- Title: Assertiveness: How To Be Strong In Every Situation
- Release date: May 2013
- Publisher(s): Capstone
- ISBN: 9780857083678