Chapter 6. Long-running Tasks with Service
In Chapter 5, Queuing Work with IntentService, we learned about a specialized subclass of
Service that handles its workload on a single background thread.
In this chapter, we'll extend our toolkit by directly extending
Service to take control of the level of concurrency applied to our long-running background tasks—how many threads are used to perform the work—and use various methods to send work to Services and receive results from them.
In this chapter, we will cover the following topics:
- Building responsive apps with
- Controlling concurrency with Executors
- Returning results with
- Direct communication with local Services
- Broadcasting results with Intents
- Detecting unhandled broadcasts
- Applications ...