This title provides accountants with critical "how-to" guidance on planning, performing, and reporting on your audit engagements, including financial reporting and the financial reporting entity, revenue and expense recognition, capital asset accounting, and the elements of net position on audits of state and local governments. It covers newly issued accounting and auditing standards, pension and OPEB standards, going concern, fair value, and Yellow Book updates.
It prepares accountants to
- Identify the latest principles of auditing and accounting for state and local governments.
- Identify new GASB standards.
- Review in detail auditing considerations including risk assessment, materiality, group audits, and performing and concluding the audit.
- Re-examine significant accounting transactions including financial instruments; revenues and receivables; capital assets; expenses/expenditures and liabilities; net position and financial statement reconciliations.
- Identify guidance for special-purpose governments like hospitals, schools district, transportation systems, colleges and universities and more.
- Prepare financial statements in accordance with a special purpose framework through review of illustrative auditor's reports.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1 The Governmental Environment and GAAP
- Chapter 2 Measurement Focus and Basis of Accounting
- Chapter 3 Governmental Funds: Revenues and Expenditures
- Chapter 4 Fund Financial Statements and the Reporting Unit
- Chapter 5 Government-Wide Financial Statements and the CAFR
- Chapter 6 Special-Purpose Governments and Special Purpose Frameworks
- Appendix A
- Appendix A—Illustrative Auditor's Reports
- Appendix B
- Appendix B—Overview of Reporting Requirements for Special Purpose Financial Statements
- Chapter 7 AUDITING CONSIDERATIONS FOR GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES
- Chapter 8 Group Audits
- Chapter 9 Reporting on the Audits of Governmental Financial Statements
- Appendix A
- Appendix A—Illustrative Auditor's Report
- Chapter 10 Governmental Pensions and OPEB Accounting, and Auditing
- Chapter 11 Federal Government Activities
- Title: Audits of State and Local Governments
- Release date: April 2018
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119508090
You might also like
Leading the Internal Audit Function
While the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) has provided standards and guidelines for the practice of …
Frequent Frauds Found in Governments and Not-for-Profits
Recognizing fraudulent or deceptive practices is not always easy. What common frauds occur in governments and …
Real Frauds Found in Governments
Frauds in governments are as unique as government entities themselves. In this book, you will learn …
International Auditing Standards in the United States, 2nd Edition
This book is a tool that students, faculty, and practitioners can use to better understand the …