As an Android developer, including Augmented Reality (AR) in your mobile apps could be a profitable new string to your bow. This tutorial takes you through every aspect of AR for Android with lots of hands-on exercises.
- Understand the main concepts and architectural components of an AR application
- Step-by-step learning through hands-on programming combined with a background of important mathematical concepts
- Efficiently and robustly implement some of the main functional AR aspects
Augmented Reality offers the magical effect of blending the physical world with the virtual world, which brings applications from your screen into your hands. AR redefines advertising and gaming, as well as education. It will soon become a technology that will have to be mastered as a necessity by mobile application developers.
Augmented Reality for Android Application Development enables you to implement sensor-based and computer vision-based AR applications on Android devices. You will learn about the theoretical foundations and practical details of implemented AR applications, and you will be provided with hands-on examples that will enable you to quickly develop and deploy novel AR applications on your own.
Augmented Reality for Android Application Development will help you learn the basics of developing mobile AR browsers, how to integrate and animate 3D objects easily with the JMonkeyEngine, how to unleash the power of computer vision-based AR using the Vuforia AR SDK, and will teach you about popular interaction metaphors. You will get comprehensive knowledge of how to implement a wide variety of AR apps using hands-on examples.
This book will make you aware of how to use the AR engine, Android layout, and overlays, and how to use ARToolkit. Finally, you will be able to apply this knowledge to make a stunning AR application.
Table of Contents
Augmented Reality for Android Application Development
- Table of Contents
- Augmented Reality for Android Application Development
- About the Authors
- About the Reviewers
1. Augmented Reality Concepts and Tools
A quick overview of AR concepts
- Sensory augmentation
- Choose your style – sensor-based and computer vision-based AR
- AR architecture concepts
- System requirements for development and deployment
- Which Android devices should you use?
- A quick overview of AR concepts
2. Viewing the World
- Understanding the camera
- Accessing the camera in Android
- Live camera view in JME
- 3. Superimposing the World
4. Locating in the World
- Knowing where you are – handling GPS
- Knowing where you look – handling inertial sensors
- Improving orientation tracking – handling sensor fusion
- Getting content for your AR browser – the Google Places API
5. Same as Hollywood – Virtual on Physical Objects
- Introduction to computer vision-based tracking and VuforiaTM
- VuforiaTM architecture
- Configuring VuforiaTM to recognize objects
- Putting it together – VuforiaTM with JME
- 6. Make It Interactive – Create the User Experience
- 7. Further Reading and Tips
- Title: Augmented Reality for Android Application Development
- Release date: November 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781782168553