A hands on guide to web scraping and text mining for both beginners and experienced users of R
Introduces fundamental concepts of the main architecture of the web and databases and covers HTTP, HTML, XML, JSON, SQL.
Provides basic techniques to query web documents and data sets (XPath and regular expressions).
An extensive set of exercises are presented to guide the reader through each technique.
Explores both supervised and unsupervised techniques as well as advanced techniques such as data scraping and text management.
Case studies are featured throughout along with examples for each technique presented.
R code and solutions to exercises featured in the book are provided on a supporting website.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Introduction
Part One: A Primer on Web and Data Technologies
- Chapter 2: HTML
- Chapter 3: XML and JSON
- Chapter 4: XPath
- Chapter 5: HTTP
- Chapter 6: AJAX
- Chapter 7: SQL and relational databases
- Chapter 8: Regular expressions and essential string functions
Part Two: A Practical Toolbox for Web Scraping and Text Mining
- Chapter 9: Scraping the Web
- Chapter 10: Statistical text processing
- Chapter 11: Managing data projects
Part Three: A Bag of Case Studies
- Chapter 12: Collaboration networks in the US Senate
- Chapter 13: Parsing information from semistructured documents
- Chapter 14: Predicting the 2014 Academy Awards using Twitter
- Chapter 15: Mapping the geographic distribution of names
- Chapter 16: Gathering data on mobile phones
- Chapter 17: Analyzing sentiments of product reviews
- General index
- Package index
- Function index
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Automated Data Collection with R: A Practical Guide to Web Scraping and Text Mining
- Release date: January 2015
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118834817