Automation through Chef Opscode provides an in-depth understanding of Chef, which is written in Ruby and Erlang for configuration management, cloud infrastructure management, system administration, and network management.
Targeted at administrators, consultants, and architect, the book guides them through the advanced features of the tool which are necessary for infrastructure automation, devops automation, and reporting. The book presumes knowledge of Ruby and Erlang which are used as reference languages for creating recipes and cookbooks and as a refresher on them to help the reader get on speed with the flow of book.
The book provides step by step instructions on installation and configuration of Chef, usage scenarios of Chef, in infrastructure automation by providing common scenarios like virtual machine provisioning, OS configuration for Windows, Linux, and Unix, provisioning and configuration of web servers like Apache along with popular databases like MySQL.
It further elaborates on the creation of recipes, and cookbooks, which help in deployment of servers and applications to any physical, virtual, or cloud location, no matter the size of the infrastructure.
The books covers advanced features like LWRPs and Knife and also contains several illustrative sample cookbooks on MySQL, Apache, and CouchDB deployment using a step by step approach.
Table of Contents
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Authors
- About the Technical Reviewers
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: The Chef Server
- Chapter 3: Installation
- Chapter 4: Workstation
- Chapter 5: Nodes
- Chapter 6: Working with Knife
- Chapter 7: Cookbooks
Chapter 8: Using Cookbooks
- Chapter 9: Developing a Cookbook
- Chapter 10: Lightweight Resource Providers
- Chapter 11: High Availability
Chapter 12: Cloud Provisioning Using Chef
- Provisioning Using Vagrant and Chef
- Providers and Provisioners
- Installing Vagrant
- Configuring Vagrant
- Vagrant Provisioning Using Chef
- AWS and Chef Provisioning Using Vagrant
- Provisioning Using Knife
Chapter 13: Troubleshooting and Debugging
- Chef Troubleshooting and Debugging
- Debugging Chef Client Run
- Debugging Recipes Using Logs
- Debugging Recipes Using Chef Shell
- Troubleshooting Chef Client
- 401 Unauthorized Errors
- Title: Automation through Chef Opscode
- Release date: July 2014
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430262961