Many people find public speaking can be scary, but it doesn't need to be. In this course, you'll toss out the old "tried-and-true" rules of presentation and in the process transform yourself into a confident, authentic presenter. Former network engineering executive and stage actor Karen Hough uses wit and wisdom to show you how “being bad” at public speaking can really work.
- Discover the true purpose of any presentation (hint: it’s not to convey information)
- Learn the value of emotions in public speaking—even nervousness and fear
- Understand why your voice is more important than your slides
- Nail the most critical parts of any presentation: the bookends
- Learn how to practice a speech (hint: break your mirror)
- Know how to read—and not read—an audience
- Get tips for what to do when something goes wrong
Yale graduate Karen Hough teaches public speaking as founder and CEO of ImprovEdge. She is the recipient of the Athena PowerLink Award for outstanding women-owned businesses and is a national conference keynote speaker on topics such as executive presence and presentation skills, negotiation, and leadership.
Table of contents
- Welcome To The Course
- Be A Badder You
- Start Breaking the Rules Before You Even Hit the Stage
- You Are the Presentation
- Staying Bad No Matter What Happens
- Now Get Out There!
- Title: Be the BEST Bad Presenter Ever
- Release date: November 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491934234
You might also like
Influencing People Honestly
The word “influence” rightfully smacks of manipulation. But what if you could influence others using communication …
Influence through listening
Most workplace conversations are simple exchanges of information, and little else. Being truly listened to, though, …
Speaker, Leader, Champion: Succeed at Work Through the Power of Public Speaking (Audio Book)
The secrets of superb public speaking—based on the best of the best of Toastmasters Toastmasters, a …
You’re giving a talk on a subject you know inside and out and your audience is …