“The authors have created a simple, systematic plan that gives investors a long-term edge with minimal effort and reduced risk. They’ve done all the work for you, and it’s rewarding and easy to follow.”
–Bob Kargenian, President, TABR Capital Management
“There are diamonds in them thar hills’ — but to find investment grade diamonds it pays to have experienced guides. Gerald and Marvin Appel provide a simple but powerful plan for the often complex world of investment opportunities.”
–Dr. Alexander Elder, Author of Come Into My Trading Room and Trading for a Living
A Complete Roadmap for Investing Like a Pro That Requires Only 1 Hour Every 3 Months
The easy way to build a winning portfolio–and keep winning
Reduce risk, increase growth, and protect wealth even in tough, volatile markets
Absolutely NO background in math or finance necessary!
You can do better!
You don’t have to settle for “generic” investment performance, and you needn’t delegate your decision-making to expensive investment managers. This book shows how you can quickly and easily build your optimal global portfolio–and then keep it optimized, in just one hour every three months.
Top investment managers Gerald and Marvin Appel provide specific recommendations and simple selection techniques that any investor can use–even novices.
The Appels’ approach is remarkably simple and requires only one hour of your time every 3 months, but don’t let that fool you: it draws on state-of-the-art strategies currently being used that really work.
If you know what to do, active investing can yield far better returns than “buy-and-hold” investing. But conventional approaches to active investing can be highly complex and time-consuming. Finally, there’s a proven, easy-to-use approach: one that’s simple enough for novices, quick enough for anyone, requires no background in math–and works!
Gerald and Marvin Appel show you how to identify, and give you specific recommendations for, the best mutual funds, ETFs, bond funds, and international funds. They do not stop there. They demonstrate how you can quickly and easily evaluate each investment’s performance every 3 months, and how to make adjustments to continually optimize the performance of your portfolio.
Using their easy to implement strategies, you can achieve better capital growth while reducing risk; profit from new opportunities at home and abroad; make the most of innovative investment vehicles; and protect your assets even in the toughest markets.
Improving rates of return while you also reduce risk
Setting intelligent investment targets and implementing strategies to meet them
Identifying today’s most profitable market sectors…
…and those that will continue to lead
Short-term vs. long-term bonds, mature vs. emerging markets
What to choose now, and when to switch
Table of contents
- About the Authors
1. Putting Together a Winning Investment Portfolio
- The Stock Market Will Not Be Neglected...
- The Key Elements of Your Winning Investment Portfolio
- Risk Levels Associated with Investments of Varying Investment Objectives
- How Do You Decide on Your Blend?
- “He Who Fights and Runs Away Lives to Fight Another Day...”
2. Advanced Diversification and Risk Management
- An Example of Well-Balanced Diversification
- Using Mutual Funds to Represent Diversified Sectors
- Active Diversification Strategies—To Maintain the Balance
- Drawbacks to Rebalancing
- Referring to Historical Drawdowns to Measure Risk
The Two Major Vehicles for Diversified Investment: Mutual Funds and Exchange Traded Funds
- Pooled Capital—Professional Management
- Benefits of Mutual Funds
- Buying and Selling Mutual Funds
- You Get an Immediate Portfolio
- The Downside—Nothing Is for Nothing
- Scurvy Selling Practices of Mutual Funds and How You Can Beat Them
- How to Beat the System
- Summing Up
- Sources of Information Regarding Mutual Funds
- Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs)—The New Kid on the Block
- 3. Prelude to Long-Term Wealth—Introduction to the Stock Market
4. Nothing Succeeds Like Success
- Most Investors Behave as if Past Performance Will Repeat Itself
- How to Pick Superior ETFs—A Momentum Strategy
- Historical Results of the Quarterly ETF Selection Strategy
- Three-Month Strategy with Mutual Funds
5. Worldwide Opportunity
- An Overview of the International Equity Landscape
- Strategy 1—The One-Decision International Mutual Fund Portfolio
- The Importance of Currency Exchange Rates
- Historical Performance of Different International Markets: Europe, Japan, and Emerging Market Countries—The Old World Still Packs a Punch
- Strategy 2—Three-Month Momentum Selection Strategy with Europe, Japan, and Emerging Markets
6. Bonds—An Investment for All Seasons
- How Much Should You Put in Bonds?
- Interest Income from Bonds—You Become the Banker
- Interest Rate Risks
- A Simple Strategy to Manage Interest Rate Risk—Bond Laddering
- How to Tell if the Bond Market Is Safe
7. Special Bond Market Investment Opportunities
- Higher Interest Payouts... But Greater Risk
- Floating Rate Bank Loan Funds—A Special Kind of High-Yield Investment
- The Safest Investment Anywhere—Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities (TIPS)
- Municipal Bonds—Don’t Share with the Tax Collector
8. Treasure in the Junkyard—How to Tame High Yield Bonds
- Bond Default—The Big Risk in High Yield Bonds
- How to Protect Yourself: Diversification
- Three Months to Success with High Yield Bond Funds
- More Gain, Less Pain! Results of Risk-Control with High Yield Bond Funds
- Appendix to Chapter 8: How to Download Total Return Data from Yahoo Finance
9. The Definitive Portfolio—The Whole Is Greater Than the Sum of Its Parts
- Alternative Portfolio Holdings
- The Four Key Strategies—A Performance Review
- Diversifying and Combining to Make the Definitive Portfolio More Profitable Than the Sum of Its Parts
- The Income Component—Preparing a More Profitable Brew from High Yield and Investment-Grade Bonds
- The Definitive Portfolio of Stocks and Bonds—Returns Sufficient to Meet Your Financial Goals, with Acceptable Levels of Risk
- Improving Returns—If You Can Afford the Risk
- A Final Review of the Steps You Will Need to Take to Achieve Investment Success with the Definitive Portfolio
- 10. Don’t Let Them Blow You Off the Planet!
11. Maybe the Politicians Can’t Do It, but You Can—Planning and Carrying Through a Long-Term Financial Program
- Flying Today, Paying Tomorrow Has Become the National Pastime...
- Extending the Concept of Paying by Cash to Accumulate the Assets You Will Need Throughout Life
- How Much Money Will You Need for Retirement Purposes?
- Adjustments That May Be Required
- Examples of Asset Growth—Relatively Modest Rate of Growth of Relatively Moderate Capital Base, with Relatively Moderate Annual Additions to Your Assets
- The Effects of Higher Rates of Return Are Considerable
- Starting Earlier in Life Can Make a Substantial Difference in the Growth of Your Assets
- One Final Example of the Power of Compounding—The One Contribution Retirement Fund
- Summing Up
- Internet Resources for Investors
- Financial Times Press
- Title: Beating the Market, 3 Months at a Time: A Proven Investing Plan Everyone Can Use
- Release date: January 2008
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780768681789
You might also like
Critical Thinking Skills For Dummies
Turbocharge your reasoning with Critical Thinking Just what are the ingredients of a great argument? What …
Building Reliable Trading Systems: Tradable Strategies That Perform As They Backtest and Meet Your Risk-Reward Goals
An award winning system developer explains how to create, test, and implement a profitable trading system …
Study Guide for The New Trading for a Living
Test your trading knowledge and skills—without risking any money You may read the best trading book, …
Why Moats Matter: The Morningstar Approach to Stock Investing
Incorporate economic moat analysis for profitable investing Why Moats Matter is a comprehensive guide to finding …