An employee's-eye view of what makes a great boss—and how you can become one
Whereas most books on managing people approach the subject from the perspective of a manager of an idealised organisation, Becoming a Better Boss takes a real-world approach, looking at the topic from the perspective of an employee in a real-world organisation—dysfunctions, warts, and all. Focusing on the choices individual employees make every day in getting work done, this book reinvents the practice of management one employee at a time.
Author Julian Birkinshaw stresses the importance of taking management seriously, reveals where management practice often goes wrong, and dives deeply into the worldview of employees. He then explores the common personal biases and frailties of managers and discusses the vital importance of experimentation to overcome the limitations and idiosyncrasies of a particular organisation. Throughout, he supports his assertions with case studies from a wide and varying range of management experiments and situations at real companies.
Written by a leading authority on strategy, management, and innovation who is also the author of eleven books, including Reinventing Management
Introduces a new approach to management focused on real employees and actual situations
Includes case studies from real organisations
Between the stress of deadlines and the demands of today's business environment, it's easy for managers to lose sight of the importance of people management. Becoming a Better Boss not only shows managers how to lead effectively, but why doing so is vitally important to every organisation's success.
Table of contents
- Praise for Becoming a Better Boss
- Title page
- Copyright page
- Online Self-Assessment
- 1: Why Management Matters
- 2: So What Is Good Management Really?
- 3: Getting inside the Minds of Your Employees: What Makes them Tick?
- 4: Seeing The World Through The Eyes of Your Employees
5: Doing What We Know We Should: Managing As an Unnatural Act
- Doing What We Know We Should
- Why Do We Behave the Way We Do?
- Letting Go: Why is it Difficult?
- Letting Go: Some Advice On Doing it Better
- Giving Credit to Others: Why Is It So Difficult?
- Giving Credit to Others: Some Advice On Doing It Better
- Self-Control: Why Is It So Difficult?
- Self-Control: Some Advice On Doing It Better
- Overcoming Our Natural Instincts
- 6: Experimentation: Functioning in a Broken System
- 7: The Future of Management?
- Title: Becoming A Better Boss: Why Good Management is So Difficult
- Release date: October 2013
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9781118645468
You might also like
The Communication Book
'A must read for any aspiring executives looking to improve their professional communication skills.' Gordon Tobin, …
HBR Guide to Getting the Mentoring You Need (HBR Guide Series)
Find the right person to help supercharge your career. you HBR Guide to Getting the Mentoring …
Business Express: Effective Communication Skills
If you need to be in the know in no time at all, Business Express will …
Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams, Third Edition
Few books in computing have had as profound an influence on software management as . The …