Learn to use technology to undertake data science and to leverage the Internet of Things (IoT) in your experimentation. Designed to take you on a fascinating journey, this book introduces the core concepts of modern data science. You'll start with simple applications that you can undertake on a BBC micro:bit and move to more complex experiments with additional hardware. The skills and narrative are as generic as possible and can be implemented with a range of hardware options.
One of the most exciting and fastest growing topics in education is data science. Understanding how data works, and how to work with data, is a key life skill in the 21st century. In a world driven by information it is essential that students are equipped with the tools they need to make sense of it all. For instance, consider how data science was the key factor that identified the dangers of climate change -- and continues to help us identify and react to the threats it presents. This book explores the power of data and how you can apply it using hardware you have at hand.
You'll learn the core concepts of data science, how to apply them in the real world and how to utilize the vast potential of IoT. By the end, you'll be able to execute sophisticated and meaningful data science experiments - why not become a citizen scientist and make a real contribution to the fight against climate change.
There is something of a digital revolution going these days, especially in the classroom. With increasing access to microprocessors, classrooms are are incorporating them more and more into lessons. Close to 5 million BBC micro:bits will be in the hands of young learners by the end of the year and millions of other devices are also being used by educators to teach a range of topics and subjects. This presents an opportunity: microprocessors such as micro:bit provide the perfect tool to use to build 21st century data science skills. Beginning Data Science and IoT on the BBC micro:bit provides you with a solid foundation in applied data science.
What You'll Learn
· Use sensors with a microprocessor to gather or "create" data
· Extract, tabulate, and utilize data it from the microprocessor
· Connect a microprocessor to an IoT platform to share and then use the data we collect
· Analyze and convert data into information
Who This Book Is For
Educators, citizen scientists, and tinkerers interested in an introduction to the concepts of IoT and data on a broad scale.
Table of contents
- Front Matter
- 1. Introducing Data Science
- 2. Data Science Goes Digital
- 3. Experimenting with Weather
- 4. Working with Large Data Sets
- 5. Introduction to Data Analysis
- 6. Introducing IoT to Data Science
- 7. Using Bluetooth for Data Science
- 8. Investigating the micro:bit Radio
- 9. Using Wi-Fi to Connect to the Internet
- 10. Introduction to Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- 11. Using ML Services
- 12. Connecting an Edge Device to the IoT Application
- 13. Consolidating our Learnings
- Back Matter
- Title: Beginning Data Science, IoT, and AI on Single Board Computers: Core Skills and Real-World Application with the BBC micro:bit and XinaBox
- Release date: July 2020
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484257661
You might also like
Intro to Python for Computer Science and Data Science: Learning to Program with AI, Big Data and The Cloud
This is the eBook of the printed book and may not include any media, website access …
Tiny Python Projects
The projects are tiny, but the rewards are big: each chapter in Tiny Python Projects challenges …
Analytical Skills for AI and Data Science
While several market-leading companies have successfully transformed their business models by following data- and AI-driven paths, …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …