Beginning iPhone 4 Development is here! The authors of the bestselling Beginning iPhone 3 Development are back, with the same excellent material completely updated for iOS 4 and written from the ground up using the latest version of Apple's Xcode 3. All source code has been updated to use the latest Xcode templates and current APIs, and all-new screenshots show Xcode 3 in action.
Beginning iPhone 4 Development is a complete course in iOS 4 apps development. You'll master techniques that work on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. We start with the basics, showing you how to download and install the tools you'll need, and how to create your first simple application. Next you'll learn to integrate all the interface elements iOS users have come to know and love, such as buttons, switches, pickers, toolbars, and sliders. You'll master a variety of design patterns, from the simplest single view to complex hierarchical drill-downs. The confusing art of table building will be demystified, and you'll learn techniques to save and retrieve your data using SQLite, iPhone's built-in database management system and Core Data, the standard for persistence that Apple brought to iOS with the release of SDK 3.
And there's much more! You'll learn to draw using Quartz 2D and OpenGL ES, add multitouch gestural support (pinches and swipes) to your applications, and work with the camera, photo library, accelerometer, and built-in GPS. You'll discover the fine points of application preferences and learn how to localize your apps for multiple languages. You'll also learn how to use the new concurrency APIs included in iOS 4, and make robust multithreaded applications using Grand Central Dispatch.
The iPhone 4 update to the best-selling and most recommended book for Cocoa touch developers
Written in an accessible, easy-to-follow style
Full of useful tips and techniques to help you become an iOS pro
NOTE: For iPhone 4S or iOS 5 apps development, please instead check out the next edition of this book, Beginning iOS 5 Development - now available.
What you'll learn
Everything you need to know to develop your own best-selling iPhone and iPad apps
Best practices for optimizing your code and delivering great user experiences
How to create "universal" apps for both iPhone and iPad
Who this book is for
Anyone who wants to start developing for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
You can discover more about this book, download source code, and find support forums at the book's companion site, at www.iphonedevbook.com.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Contents at a Glance
- About The Authors
- About The Technical Reviewer
- Chapter 1: Welcome to the Jungle
- Chapter 2: Appeasing the Tiki Gods
- Chapter 3: Handling Basic Interaction
Chapter 4: More User Interface Fun
- A Screen Full of Controls
- Active, and Passive Controls
- Creating the Application
- Implementing the Image View and Text Fields
- Closing the Keyboard
- Implementing the Slider and Label
- Implementing the Switches, Button, and Segmented Control
- Implementing the Action Sheet and Alert
- Spiffing Up the Button
- Being a Good Memory Citizen
- Crossing the Finish Line
- Chapter 5: Autorotation and Autosizing
- Chapter 6: Multiview Applications
- Chapter 7: Tab Bars and Pickers
- Chapter 8: Introduction to Table Views
- Chapter 9: Navigation Controllers and Table Views
- Chapter 10: iPad Considerations
- Chapter 11: Application Settings and User Defaults
- Chapter 12: Basic Data Persistence
- Chapter 13: Grand Central Dispatch, Background Processing, and You
- Chapter 14: Drawing with Quartz and OpenGL
- Chapter 15: Taps, Touches, and Gestures
- Chapter 16: Where Am I? Finding Your Way with Core Location
- Chapter 17: Whee! Gyro and Accelerometer!
- Chapter 18: iPhone Camera and Photo Library
- Chapter 19: Application Localization
- Chapter 20: Where to Next?
- Title: Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK
- Release date: January 2011
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430230243
You might also like
The PMP® Certification Exam Study Guide
The PMP® Certification Exam Study Guide facilitates the knowledge and confidence needed to achieve the highly …
Adaptive Optics for Biological Imaging
Adaptive Optics for Biological Imaging brings together groundbreaking research on the use of adaptive optics for …
Water Paper Paint: A Creative Card-Painting Kit
This inspiring, everything-in-one card-painting kit blends traditional watercolor painting techniques with a fresh, contemporary sensibility. Learn …
While several available texts discuss molded plastic optics, none provide information on all classes of molded …