In this chapter, you will learn:
- What data types are
- What identifiers are and detailed rules to declare them
- The difference between primitive and reference data types
- How to declare variables of a data type
- How to assign a value to a variable
- Detailed descriptions of all primitive data types in Java
- What literals of a data type are
- What casting is and when it is needed
- Binary representation of integers and floating-point numbers
- Different rounding modes for floating-point numbers
- How Java implements IEEE floating-point standards
What Is a Data Type?
A data type (or simply a type) is defined in terms of three components: ...